Re: st: Appending files using stat transfer

From   "Partha Bhattacharyya" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Appending files using stat transfer
Date   Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:28:41 -0500

There are Excel Macros that are available that will append mutiple
files.  You can write it yourself or purchase is online.  Like Dave
stated, I have not encountered an option in stat transfer.

Check what is the extension of your excel, if they are in csv format,
you might be able to append the files using dos as well, if the column
names are the same then you just need to drop them later in STATA.

Best,

Partha

On 12/24/06, David Airey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number (3000) of excel files that i need to convert to dta
> files and i need to append them together. I can use the command
> line interface of stat transfer and convert them and then write a
> do file in stata to append them together. However i was wondering
> if the same can be done in one go using stat trasfer. i.e to
> convert the files and append them togther using the stat transfer
> command line interface. I read it someplace and had book marked the
> page unfortunately the bookmark has disappeared!
>
> regards
> rajesh

The author of stat transfer will answer questions about adding or
missing features. Nice guy.

I have stat transfer and don't remember reading this, but I can't say
I've read the manual recently.

With lots of Excel files maybe you would be better off batch
transferring your Excel files to Excel XML files, and then using
Stata 9's "xmluse" command with "append".

-Dave