RE: st: RE: Re: convert data to CSV

From   "Nuno Soares" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: convert data to CSV
Date   Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:55:24 -0000

This depends on how Regional Settings are defined in each computer. In my
case (I'm from Portugal), I've had to tweak my Windows XP regional settings
to allow for "." to be considered the Decimal symbol and the "," to be
considered as the List Separator. After changing the csv files started to be
openned with no problems at all in Excel. Stata doesn't have that problem
because we can define the separotr we wish to use.

________________________________

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Earnhart,
Benjamin J
Sent: domingo, 17 de Dezembro de 2006 0:02
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: RE: Re: convert data to CSV

Yup, with the USA-english version, if you just double-click to open one
delimited by semicolons, it doesn't recognize the delimiters.  For that
matter, if you even open it from within excel, if it has the .csv ending, it
still doesn't recognize them.  Only by opening it from within excel with a
different file ending, will you get the dialogue that lets you choose to
treat a semicolon as a delimiter.

So guess your response makes more sense, that it *is* an artifact of
international versions as the others suspected.

Hard to go wrong with tab-separated, though.

Sorry for the tangent into the oddities of MS-land, but was a mystery I
wanted to see solved.  Back to your regularly scheduled Stata discussions :)