st: programming: identifying a discrete versus a continuous variable

From   "Brent Fulton" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: programming: identifying a discrete versus a continuous variable
Date   Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:15:49 -0800

I am using Stata 9.2 and am running a loop on multiple variables; some are
continuous and some are discrete (all made binary). The hypothetical loop
follows, and I'd like to know how to write a flexible "if" statement
(flexible in the sense that $vars1 may contain 20 variables that I'd like to
be able to change without rewriting the if statement).

foreach x of varlist $vars1{
if(`x' is discrete){
*do these lines of code
}
else{
*do these lines of code
}
}

The following solutions aren't that flexible. For example, I could write the
following if I knew variables 3 and 20 in $vars were discrete.

scalar variable_number=1
foreach x of varlist $vars1{
if(inlist(scalar(variable_number),3,20)){
*do these lines of code
}
else{
*do these lines of code
}
scalar variable_number= scalar(variable_number) + 1
}

I've also tried the following, but the if statement is always evaluated as
true:
if(inlist(`x', var3_name, var20_name)){

Lastly, I've tried to add characteristics to variables:
char var3_name[one] "discrete"
But I can't get the if statement to evaluate a characteristic.

I'd appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent D. Fulton, PhD