st: Repeating values

From   "Thomas Erdmann" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Repeating values
Date   Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:56:13 +0100

Hi,

I am working with some variables that or "wrong" in the sense that if one
share was taken off the market (i.e. the company was dissolved), the last
value of the variable is repeated instead of containing missing values.

e.g.

Status    Year    Var1
Listed    1991     0.9
Listed    1992     0.95
Listed    1993     0.93
Delisted  1994     0.93
Delisted  1995     0.93
..
Delisted  2006     0.93 (value is always repeated up to present time)

Whereas years 1994-2006 should contain missing values. I came up with this
cleaning process:

	foreach X of varlist var1 var2 var3 {
	generate `X'new=`X'
	replace `X'new=. if `X'==L.`X'
	replace `X'=`X'new
	drop `X'new
	}

Which is okay, but also sets the value to missing if one observation for a
listed company repeats, so it also deletes observations that would be fine.

Any suggestions on how I can only replace the "wrong" values?

Thanks in Advance. Tom