Re: st: -adoupdate- questions

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -adoupdate- questions
Date   Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:50:49 -0600

Michael Hanson <[email protected]> has two copies of package dpredict
installed, one from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/d and the other from
http://repec.org/bocode/d.  He wants to know:

     1.  Is there a preferred URL?

     2.  Is there a problem?

     3.  What should he do about it?

     4.  Problem or not, how do you delete packages when they have
         the same name?

1.  Is there a preferred URL?
-----------------------------

Kit has always told us at StataCorp to use http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/,
so I suppose that is the preferred address.

2.  Is there a problem?
-----------------------

Not from the Stata perspective.

There's not a problem from any other perspective either, but that is
only because the two packages are identical; I checked.  Perhaps one URL
routes to the other, or perhaps there are two indentical copies on two
different URLs.

3.  What should he do about it?
-------------------------------

I would delete the package from http://repc.org/ because (1) you are
putting Stata to a test, (2) if the package is updated at both places,
-adoup- will (unnecessarily) install it twice, and (3) the packages may
not always be the same.  Stata should handle (3) properly, too, but only
if the names of the files provided by each are different.  They may not
be, and then Michael would have a mish-mash.

4.  How do you delete packages when they have the same name?

Type

        . ado dir dpredict
        [22] dpredict at http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/d:
             installed package is up to date

        [23] dpredict at http://repec.org/bocode/d:
             installed package is up to date

Then type

        . ado uninstall [23]

The numbers shown are merely suggestive.

-- Bill