RE: st: probability and z-statistic

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: probability and z-statistic
Date   Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:04:07 -0000

Briefly, Kendall's tau-a is the difference between the probability of
concordance and discordance, where "concordance" is the event that the
larger of 2 X-values is associated with the larger of the 2
corresponding Y-values, and discordance is the event that the larger
X-value is associated with the smaller Y-value. Somers' D of Y with
respect to X, denoted D_YX, is the difference between the 2
corresponding CONDITIONAL probabilities, assuming that the 2 X-values
are ordered (instead of being tied). And Kendall's tau-b is the quantity

taub_XY = sign(taua_XY) * sqrt(D_XY * D_YX)

or (in other words) the common sign of D_XY and D_YX multiplied by the
geometric mean of their 2 absolute values.

I personally am more keen on having confidence intervals for Somers' D
and Kendall's tau-a because they can be interpreted in words as
differences between probabilities, which you cannot do with Kendall's
tau-b. There are a large number of downloadable articles,
pre-publication drafts and presentations on my website (see my signature
below) about the "Kendall family" of rank parameters, which are all
defined in terms of Kendall's tau-a and also include median slopes,
differences and ratios.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger