Re: st: Get the level of significance for the difference of two means

From   "Nirina F" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Get the level of significance for the difference of two means
Date   Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:24:06 -0500

Thanks Marteen, I tried it but it does not give me the p-value of the
test that tests that the difference in the mean of price of foreign
and domestic is equal or not to zero?
Do you see my point? (or may be I didn't see where to look at the significance).
could you please let me know?
Best regards,
Nirina

On 12/3/06, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
--- Nirina F <[email protected]> wrote:
> could you please help me how do I Get the level of significance for
> the difference of two means?

Nirina:
Say you wanted to know the difference in mean price of foreign and
domestic cars. You can type -regress price foreign- and the parameter
of foreign will be the difference and the p-value will be the level of
significance for a t-test of the null hypothesis that that difference
is zero. See example below:
HTH,
Maarten

*----------- begin example -----------
sysuse auto, clear
table foreign, c(mean price) format(%9.2f)
reg price foreign
adjust, by(foreign)

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam