RE: st: RE: LONEWAY & XTREG

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: LONEWAY & XTREG
Date   Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:57:35 -0000

Experiment will show that -loneway- will accept
all kinds of variables, including those you think
of as continuous, discrete or categorical. It does
not adjust its calculations accordingly. Stata [note
spelling please] doesn't really have concepts of different
kinds of variables, other than data types, and in most
cases leaves judgements on what is appropriate to the user.

I don't know why you asked your original question
whether -loneway- and -xtreg- are the only
possibilities if you were already aware that there
were other commands such as -xtmixed-. In any case it
is difficult to guess what you already know unless you
tell us.

Incidentally, please use standard Statalist conventions
for indicating command names, rather than inventing your
own. The convention is -cmdname-.

Lijun Song

> Thank you for your information. I already tried them. But I
> failed to find any information
> about variable types for loneway. Does STATA set it as a
> default that LONEWAY could
> be used for all kinds of variables?

Nick Cox

> > If you ask Stata itself what is available, you will see
> other possibilities.
> >
> > . search variance components
> >
> > Keyword search

> >           Search:  (1) Official help files, FAQs, Examples,
> SJs, and STBs
> >
> > Search of official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and STBs
> >

> > [R]     loneway . . . . . Large one-way ANOVA, random
> effects, and reliability
> >         (help loneway)
> >
> > [R]     regress postestimation  . . . . . . .
> Postestimation tools for regress
> >         (help regress postestimation)
> >
> > Example . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Stata web books:
> Regression with Stata
> >         . .  Chen, Ender, Mitchell & Wells (UCLA Academic
> Technology Services)
> >         7/06    web book Regression with Stata by (in alphabetical
> >                 order) Xiao Chen, Philip B. Ender, Michael Mitchell
> >                 & Christine Wells
> >                 http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/webbooks/reg/
> >
> > SJ-6-1  st0095  . . . . . . . . . . .  Estimating variance
> components in Stata
> >         . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . . Y. Marchenko
> >         Q1/06   SJ 6(1):1--21
>      (no commands)
> >         describes using xtmixed to estimate variance components
> >         in linear models
> >
> > SJ-6-1  gn0031  . . Review of Multilevel and Longitudinal
> Modeling Using Stata
> >         . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . R. Wolfe
> >         Q1/06   SJ 6(1):138--143
>      (no commands)
> >         book review of Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling
> >         Using Stata by Rabe-Hesketh and Skrondal
> >
> > SJ-4-4  st0077  . . CIs for the variance comp. of
> random-effects linear models
> >         (help xtvc if installed)  . . . . . . . . . .  M.
> Bottai and N. Orsini
> >         Q4/04   SJ 4(4):429--435
> >         confidence intervals for the variance components of
> >         random-effects linear regression models.
> >
> > STB-60  sg160 . . . . . . . . . . . . On boundary-value
> likelihood-ratio tests
> >         . . . . . . . . . . . .  R. G. Gutierrez, S.
> Carter, and D. M. Drukker
> >         3/01    pp.15--18; STB Reprints Vol 10, pp.269--273
>      (no commands)
> >         discusses likelihood-ratio boundary tests (such as tests for
> >         the presence of overdispersion or random effects) which are
> >         based on a mixture of a point mass at zero and a chi-squared
> >         distribution

Lijun Song