st: heckprob: What are the initial values?

From   Rachel <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: heckprob: What are the initial values?
Date   Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:08:38 -0500

I'm trying to change the starting values in heckprob. I've tried the
from( ) option, but I can't tell exactly what argument Stata is
looking for.

It looks like it's looking for the input arguments for the ml model
function. According to the m file, those are the vectors xb1, xb2 and
the number xb3 (rho).  I tried to use the option

from(xb1=arg1\xb2=arg2\xb3=0.5)

where arg1 and arg2 are the x1*b1 and x*b2 that I've already
calculated based on the starting values I want, and 0.5 is my starting
value of rho.

But stata says it expects a number.  Is it looking for the likelihood
function for the first argument?

If anyone can tell me what starting values stata is looking for, I'd
much appreciate it.

Thanks very much,
Rachel