RE: st: RE: Truncation of words in smcl help files

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Truncation of words in smcl help files
Date   Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:14:00 -0000

It's still true that SMCL is essentially a line-by-line
processor. It has to be because (a) SMCL has no concept
of an end of document, unlike HTML; (b) Stata's basic output mode is
a line at a time.

If HTML had been fine for Stata purposes,
then it would have been perverse of StataCorp to invent SMCL,
as HTML was already (1) well-known (2) cross-platform (3) non-proprietary
(4) excellent, but the condition isn't true.

Incidentally, I remember that I wanted to insert the reference

M{c o:}bius, August Ferdinand. 1827.
{it:Der barycentrische Calcul: ein neues H{c u:}lfsmittel zur
analytischen Behandlung der Geometrie dargestellt und insbesondere
auf die Bildung neuer Classen von Aufgaben und die Entwicklung
mehrerer Eigenschaften der Kegelschnitte.}
Leipzig: Johann Ambrosius Barth. [1790{c -}1868]

into my triplot.hlp, all on one line, but SMCL wouldn't play until
I split it into shorter lines. And I thought M{c o:}bius would be bound
to fit on a single line, being a one-sided person.

Ian Watson