Re: st: RE: Truncation of words in smcl help files

From   Ian Watson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Truncation of words in smcl help files
Date   Fri, 01 Dec 2006 06:54:19 -0800

Scott,

Many thanks for this. It works fine and resolves the issue for the moment.

It is the solution I've used in the past. I had hoped to find another way because cutting and pasting "hard-wrap" (as opposed to "soft-wrap" paragraphs) can be a pain.

It seems to me that smcl's s paragraph mode (as opposed to line mode) must still need to process strings (hence the 244 word limit), rather than unlimited-length paragraphs. I would have thought smcl might have behaved like html (which does not suffer from the 244 word limit).

Ian

Scott Merryman wrote:

Ian,

I am not sure why, but if you add a carriage return after the second
sentence (or after every sentence) the problem goes away.

----------foo.hlp-----

{smcl}

{phang}
carriage return at end of paragraph

{phang}
{opt using} is not an option but is required, and indicates the filename for
the output. Some applications (particularly MS Excel) `lock' files when
they're open. This means you cannot write to these files and you receive an
error message, warning you to check if the file is already open in another
application.

{phang}
carriage return after each sentence

{phang}
{opt using} is not an option but is required, and indicates the filename for
the output.
Some applications (particularly MS Excel) `lock' files when they're open. This means you cannot write to these files and you receive an error message,
warning you to check if the file is already open in another application.

-------------------------

The results:

carriage return at end of paragraph

using is not an option but is required, and indicates the filename for
the output. Some applications (particularly MS Excel) `lock' files
when they're open. This means you cannot write to these files and
you receive an error message, warnin check if the file is already
open in another application.

carriage return after each sentence

using is not an option but is required, and indicates the filename for
the output. Some applications (particularly MS Excel) `lock' files
when they're open. This means you cannot write to these files and
you receive an error message, warning you to check if the file is
already open in another application.

Scott