Re: st: left censoring in discrete-time duration model

From   Daniel Simon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: left censoring in discrete-time duration model
Date   Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:27:27 -0500

The issue of the "zero" time, i.e. the time that magazines become at risk of establishing a website is important to me, so let me explain what I'm doing there. I actually have magazine data going back to 1990. However, I use an internet archive (the "wayback machine") to identify when magazines first started offering content on the web. This archive only goes back to 1996. Therefore, I cannot observe any magazine websites that existed before 1996. To deal with this, I have treated 1996 as the first year in which magazines could have websites, and only used data from 1996 onwards. However, this then creates a problem, which prompted my original question, because I know that some magazines (don't know which ones) had websites prior to 1996. I have tried a variety of methods for dealing with this: (1) Treat all firms that
had a website in 1996 as if they adopted in 1996 (the first year of the sample period), whether they adopted in 1996 or adopted earlier, i.e. ignore the problem; (2) Exclude 1996 from the sample (begin the analysis with 1997); (3) Drop all observations for firms that had websites in 1996. My results are very robust to all three approaches, which I believe is reasonable, because as Austin has documented, there were not many websites before 1996.

Hopefully, I have now better explained my problem. Based on this, does my approach seem reasonable? In particular, am I correct that there is no reason to include pre-1996 data (given that I cannot observe websites during this period)? thanks again. Daniel