st: RE: how to connect points only within groups

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how to connect points only within groups
Date   Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:46:43 -0000

Thanks for the positive comments on
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/connect.html

However, this is flagged as applicable to Stata <=7,
so that there should be many better ways to do
what you want, assuming that have Stata 9, as
is the standard Statalist assumption unless you
indicate otherwise.

Also, I can't work out from what's here quite what your
problem really is. Adding random noise is a small
detail which sometimes works to shake apart traces
that would otherwise be tied, but if you have lots
of ties it won't do much good.

In current Stata, there are least three broad ways
of getting what I guess you want.

1. -separate- a response variable into groups
before plotting. That is possible in Stata >=6 too.

2. -xtline- if your data are panel data.

3. -linkplot- from SSC is dedicated to (one
version of) this problem.

The tricks and dodges in this FAQ are mostly
superfluous given the greater control in current
Stata.

Jos� Maria Pacheco de Souza