st: Mata Question

From   Danielle H Ferry <[email protected]>
To   StataList <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Mata Question
Date   Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:35:55 -0500

Dear Statlisters,
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I know how to do it in Stata, but not Mata.

Suppose in my pure time series dataset I have a variable, Y, and want to create a new variable, Z, where Z = . if t=1, Z = Y if t = 2, and Z = Z[_n-1] if t>2. After I create a data view, this is simple to implement in Mata (assuming my data is already sorted):

drop _all
set obs 5
ge Y = 1
ge t = _n
scalar N1 = 2

mata
st_view(y=., ., "Y", .)
n1 = st_numscalar("N1")
z = J(rows(y), 1, .)
z[n1,1] = y[n1,1]
for(j=3; j<=rows(z); j++) {
i = j - 1
z[j, .] = z[i, .] + 1
}
end
list

Suppose, now, that I have a panel. I want the same definition for Z to apply WITHIN EACH PANEL. It is clearly this part that needs to be amended somehow, but I'm not sure how to do it best:

z[n1,1] = y[n1,1]
for(j=3; j<=rows(z); j++) {
i = j - 1
z[j, .] = z[i, .] + 1
}

The brute force way would be:

drop _all
set obs 10
ge p = 1 in 1/5
replace p = 2 in 6/l
ge Y = 1
bys p: ge t = _n
scalar N1 = 2
scalar numpanels = 2
scalar numonpanel = 5

mata
st_view(y=., ., "Y", .)
n1 = st_numscalar("N1")
nump = st_numscalar("numpanels")
numonp = st_numscalar("numonpanel")
z = J(rows(y), 1, .)
z[n1,1] = y[n1,1]
for(j=3; j<=rows(z)/nump; j++) {
i = j - 1
z[j, .] = z[i, .] + 1
}
z[n1+numonp,1] = y[n1+numonp,1]
for(j=3+numonp; j<=rows(z); j++) {
i = j - 1
z[j, .] = z[i, .] + 1
}
idx = st_addvar("float", "Z")
st_store(., idx, z)
end
list

But this requires me to know a lot about the data a priori. Is there a clever way to do this? In real life I have several different data samples and N1, numpanels, & numonpanels will vary across samples.

Many thanks,
Danielle

begin:vcard
fn:Danielle H Ferry
n:Ferry;Danielle H
org:Bear Stearns & Co.;Asset Management
adr;dom:;;383 Madison Avenue;New York;NY;10179
email;internet:[email protected]
tel;work:212/272-3415
version:2.1
end:vcard

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.