Re: st: Panel Model w/ AR(1) Disturbance -- Can I do an AR(2)?

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Panel Model w/ AR(1) Disturbance -- Can I do an AR(2)?
Date   Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:18:31 -0500

Derren,

In order to be posted, your message has to be plain-text format.
Using -xtregar- you are running the following model

y(i,t) = x(i,t)*b + e(i,t)
e(i,t) = r*e(i,t-1) + u(i,t)

To deal with this system the procedures work in the following way:
(1) Take the first eq in period t-1 and multiply by r
r*y(i,t-1) = x(i,t-1)*b*r + r*e(i,t-1)
(2) Substract the result from the first equation
y(i,t) -r*y(i,t-1) = x(i,t)*b - x(i,t-1)*b*r + e(i,t) - r*e(i,t-1)
(3) Note that the composed residual is indeed u(i,t) using the second
equation (main assumption of this procedure), then the model is:
y(i,t) = r*y(i,t-1) + x(i,t)*b - x(i,t-1)*b*r + u(i,t)
(4) This is the constrained version of the following model
y(i,t) =r*y(i,t-1) + x(i,t)*b + x(i,t-1)*c + u(i,t)

You can try

xtreg CONT L.CONT L(0/1).(AIRFORCE ARMY NAVY
    L2_UNEMP L2_WAR L2ADD_PA L2_RETUR), fe level(90)

and compare the results with your sentence (-xtregar...-). If they
are similar, then the initial observations are irrelevant and you can
estimate

xtreg CONT L.CONT L2.CONT L(0/2).(AIRFORCE ARMY NAVY
    L2_UNEMP L2_WAR L2ADD_PA L2_RETUR), fe level(90)

Also, note that Mark Schaffer's suggestion involves only change
the standard errors (the coefficient will be the same as -xtreg..., fe-
without lags). You can use his -xtivreg2- to create this corrected
standard errors.

The procedure behind -xtregar..., fe- is lag dependent variable plus
fixed effects which is known to be biased. The bias is small for large T
(above 10). The standard way to deal with is using Arellano-Bond
procedure (-xtabond- or -xtabond2-) which solve this model in first
differences using Instrumental Variables (any AR(p)).

I hope this helps you.
Rodrigo.