Re: st: egen rowmin rowmax

From   Teresa Dale Nelson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: egen rowmin rowmax
Date   Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:30:55 -0600 (CST)

Philipp,

No, I don't get an error code. Instead, the var for egen
var=rowmin(varlist) is evaluated to zero or missing.  In fact, some of
the rows have all zeroes; the rest contain some zeroes and a few values
between 1 and 13.

I first create a variable called "rowsum" that totals the row, then I
egen for the min value on the condition that the rowsum is not equal to
zero.  Yet, the egen (rowmin)  still evaluates to zeroes and missings.
All "seq*" variables are type byte, containing a value of 0 to 13.
Here's the code:

bys id: egen rowsum =
total(seq1+seq2+seq3+seq4+seq5+seq6+seq7+seq8+seq9+seq10+seq11+seq12+seq
13)

egen byte minmath = rowmin(mathseq*) if rowsum~=0

I had initially tried egen rowsum=total(seq1-seq13) but Stata
interpreted the dash as an operator (minus sign). So I tried using a
colon and received an "invalid name" error. Then I entered each
variable separated by a space, e.g. total(seq1 seq2 seq3 ...) and again
received an "invalid name" error, as though I had streamed all the
variables together without spaces.  This is why I included the plus
signs.

Here's the result:
. tab minmath,m

minmath |      Freq.     Percent      Cum.
          0 |     19,380     99.38       99.38
           . |        121        0.62     100.00
     Total |     19,501   100.00

Any ideas?