st: ordered probit and sample selection

From   Jenny S�ve-S�derbergh <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ordered probit and sample selection
Date   Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:09:52 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

I want to estimate an ordered probit model conditional on a selection equation.
I have two problems.

My first method has been to try the ?ssm? command. But even after 36 hours
there I have received no results. Is this reasonable given that I have 18000
individuals, 10 variables in the first equation and 8 variables in the second??

Second, I want to change strategy to use an ordered probit with a Mills ratio,
included from a bivariate probit for the selection equation. I did read the
reply by Maarten Buis on the 5th of October "Inverse mills ratio and ordered
logit " and hence prefer to use this method. But what does this procedure imply
for the error terms and can it create a bias? Does the error terms have to be
corrected and, if so, how?

I am very grateful for any help,

Jenny