st: varlist error? or feature?

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: varlist error? or feature?
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:33:28 -0400

Why have I never noticed this before? Stata 9, updated.

. d com1-com45

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
com1            byte   %8.0g                  BPH
medcom2         byte   %9.0g                  meds: CA
com2            byte   %8.0g                  CA
medcom3         byte   %9.0g                  meds: CHF/HTN
com3            byte   %8.0g                  CHF/HTN
medcom4         byte   %9.0g                  meds: ESRD
com4            byte   %8.0g                  ESRD
medcom5         byte   %9.0g                  meds: GERD
com5            byte   %8.0g                  GERD
medcom6         byte   %9.0g                  meds: HIV
com6            byte   %8.0g                  HIV
medcom7         byte   %9.0g                  meds: HTN
.
.
.

And I discovered it when

. egen total=rtotal(com1-com45)

totalled all the -medcom- variables as well. How can I reference
just those variables that start with -com-?

thanks,
Jeph