Re: st: replace missing values (fwd)

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: replace missing values (fwd)
Date   Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:40:04 +0200

Cathy wrote:

I have a dataset with hospital and ICU data.
I'd like to replace missing data for one ICU
with the average value of the other 3 icu's at
that hospital. The dataset looks like this:
  Unit_ID Total_Score
  11 .
  12 90
  13 60
  14 27

I can get the average for total score for the 3 units
by using "if" and specifying the unit id's. But how
can I then replace the missing unit's score with the
average from the 3 other units?

I don't know what ICU is, but that is probably not important.
Read Maarten's important comment. Assuming that you
want to do it anyway, and assuming that you have more
than one hospital, you could:

  Hospital Unit_ID Total_Score
  1 11 .
  1 12 90
  1 13 60
  1 14 27
  2 23 41
  2 24 .
  2 24 73

  sort Hospital
  by Hospital: egen Total_Score2=mean(Total_Score)
  replace Total_Score2=Total_Score if Total_Score<.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark