RE: st: RE: binary quantile regression

From   "Steven Lehrer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: binary quantile regression
Date   Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:36:41 +0000

Binary regression quantiles is a semiparametric discrete choice estimator that imposes fewer asumpotion on the underlying data than other semiparametric estimators (i.e Klein and Spady or Ichimura). The cost is a slower rate of convergence. Basically you can view Manski's maximum score estimator as a median estimator, and Kordas (2004) outlines the benefits of using Manski's (1975, 1985) binary regression quantiles to provide consistent estimates of the conditional probability of some outcome given an individual's covariates at different points of the distribution. While Limdep has a algorithm to do maximum score it appears to perform fairly poorly. In fact, if you plug the solution in the Limdep manual as a starting value in the algorithm available on Kordas's website (with the same data) you will find a new solution which does a better job at maximizing the objective function. In addition the S-Plus code can do other quantiles. The S-Plus code calls some Fortran subroutines and from my own experience is fairly easy to use. My hunch is that programming BRQ in Stata would not just be time consuming but the program would take alot longer to converge on a solution then the S-Plus code.

Hope this helps,
Steve

From: "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: st: RE: binary quantile regression
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:44:43 -0500

I wonder if the reason there was no response is that it is not clear
what is meant by "binary quantile regression". If you have a binary
response variable, it only takes on two values and hence does not have
continuous quantiles that can be modeled via regression. Perhaps that is
not what was meant by "binary quantile regresion". Please clarify.

Al Feiveson