st: RE: Question regarding Gamma distribution and its implementation

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. \(JSC-SK311\)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Question regarding Gamma distribution and its implementation
Date   Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:48:04 -0500

Tiago - I think what you want is 1-gammap(y,z*c); i.e. in Stata, type

gen q = 1-gammap(y,z*c)

assuming y,c and z are defined Stata variables in your data set.

 I am assuming there is a typo in the denominator of your constant. Should it not be ((z^y)/(gamma(y))  ?

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 1:35 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Question regarding Gamma distribution and its implementation

Dear all,

I�m geneticist. Hence, sorry for the dummy questions.

I have to generate a new variable using a set of parameters.

The new variable is generated as follows:

((z^y)/(gamma(y,z)))* integral of x^y-1 * exp^-zx dx from c to infinity, where

z, y, c  are values previously calculated

gamma is the Gamma distribution with parameters y and z.

How do I implement such formula using Stata?

I have already checked "functions" commands, but still feel unsure regarding the correct implementation.

I�ll be glad for any help. Thanks in advance.

Tiago

--
Tiago V. Pereira
Heart Institute - InCor