Re: st: Health Survey for England

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Health Survey for England
Date   Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:05:21 +0200

Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
> "Thanks for your query. Yes you have understand correctly that postal
> code is used as the PSU. Unfortunately you won't find this or strata in
> the HSE datasets because of concerns over confidentiality. This is
> something that we are going to raise with ONS and other data providers
> as it is definitely one of the shortfalls with the datasets so thank you
> for raising the issue. I'm sorry I can't bring you any better news."
>
> So knowing that the data are from a complex multistage sampling design,
> but having no access to the psu information, what would be the best way
> to proceed with analysis?

You might consider using the interviewer number instead of the PSU identifier.
Fieldwork institutes sometimes uses just one interviewer per PSU so that the
interviewer number also identifies the PSU.

A related thing is that the interviewers are a source for clustering
themselfes. A recent publication by Schnell and Kreuter shows that
interviewer effects can be stronger than PSU effects. Hence, there are
reasons to look at the design-effects from the  interviewers, anyway.

@ARTICLE{schnell05b,
  author = {Schnell, Rainer and Kreuter, Frauke},
  year = {2005},
  title = { {S}eparating {I}nterviewer and {S}ampling-{P}oint {E}ffects },
  journal = { {J}ournal of {O}fficial {S}tatistics },
  volume = {3},
  pages = {389--410},
}

Uli