st: RE: Missing Wald test with -cluster- or -robust- option [further explanations?]

Subject   st: RE: Missing Wald test with -cluster- or -robust- option [further explanations?]
Date   Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:01:37 +0100

Mirko,

My guess is that you have a singleton dummy (or something similar).
This causes the robust covariance matrix to be less than full rank.

You can confirm this by trying to do the Wald test by hand using -test-
or -testparm-.  I suspect that you will get plausible looking test
statistics if you test most but not all of the parameters, and if you
keep adding parameters to the set you are testing, at some point the
test statistic will be missing.  The last parameter you add will
correspond to the variable that causes the vcv to be less than full
rank.

Come to think of it, you could probably do this using a -foreach- loop
that loops over the variables in the estimation, and a -test- command
with the -accum- option so that you keep adding variables to the set
being tested.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK