st: RE: using xtivreg2 with no endogenity problem

Subject   st: RE: using xtivreg2 with no endogenity problem
Date   Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:30:01 +0100

Woong Chung,

Indeed you can.  Incidentally, if you wanted to do efficient GMM, you
could even do

xtivreg2 y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 t1-t5 d (=l1.d l2.d),ffirst fe
ivar(i) gmm endog(d) robust cluster(i)

This is different from your specification

xtivreg2 y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 t1-t5 d,fe ivar(i) robust cluster(i)

in that you use the extra orthogonality conditions you were previously
using for instrumenting d, but here you use them to get efficient
estimates.  This isn't usually done, because it can easily get out of
hand - when do you stop adding orthogonality conditions? see the
Wooldrige article in the J. Econ. Perspectives from several years ago -
but here you might want to do it because it will give you test
statistics that more direclty comparable to those in your original
specification with d endogneous.  Just a thought.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes