st: Re: positive definite matrices

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: positive definite matrices
Date   Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:10:48 -0400

Jason,

A is positive definite if for any vector z then z'Az>0... quadratic form.
Liberal translation: a positive definite refers in general to the variance
should be positive. Therefore, you have a negative variance somewhere.

In your case, the command tries to get the correlation using all the
available information... because you have missing something the
correlations that you get do not meet the condition that the var-cov
is positive definite.

Solutions: (1) use casewise, from the help file "Specifying casewise
ensures that the estimated covariance matrix will be of full rank and
be positive definite." (2) fill some missing data with -ipolate- or
-impute-, (3) drop the too-much missings variables, (4) work with
multiple-imputation datasets... using -ice- or some other package.

Rodrigo.