st: problem with expected duration

From   "Ellen Van de Poel" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: problem with expected duration
Date   Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:14:13 +0200

Dear Stata users,

I am using a duration model to explain childhood mortality (dying before 5
years of age).
The duration time ranges from 0 to 60 months. A failure dummy indicates
whether or not the child has died before 60 months.

I use: �streg $xvars , dist(lognormal)�

Thereafter I want to calculate expected durations. To do so I use �predict
meanpredct, mean �.

Now, the problem is that these predicted durations are too big, they range
from 102738.1  to  1.33e+09. They can't be interpreted as expected
durations?

Could someone give me an idea on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ellen Van de Poel

______________________________
Ellen Van de Poel
�
Department of Applied Economics
Erasmus School of Economics and Business Economics
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Burg. Oudlaan 50
3000 DR Rotterdam
The Netherlands