st: RE: RE: simulating a lognormal distribution

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: simulating a lognormal distribution
Date   Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:12:08 +0100

This came up a few years ago. I think you can
do it directly by algebra, or at least I
thought I could do it with my version of algebra.
I used various equations in Aitchison and
Brown's book from 1957.

This is my do file. You supply three arguments
which are the new variable name, mean of
new variable and sd of new variable.

---------------------- lognorm.do
scalar mean = ln((`2'^2) / sqrt((`2'^2) + (`3'^2)))
scalar sd   = sqrt(ln(1 + (`3'^2) / (`2'^2)))
gen `1' = scalar(mean) + scalar(sd) * invnorm(uniform())
replace `1' = exp(`1')
---------------------

Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)

> Jeph - Let X = log(Y). You can use the fact that E(exp(tX)) =
> exp(mu*t +
> t*t*sig2/2) where X~N(mu,sig2). Taking t=1,we see that E(Y) = mu +
> sig2/2. Also the median of Y is exp(median of X) = exp(mu).
> So from the
> mean and median of Y, you can get values for mu and sig. The sd of Y
> adds additional information if you want to use it. Taking t=2, gives
> E(Y^2) = E( (exp(x))^2 ) = E(exp(2X)) = 2*mu + 4*sig2/2 =
> 2*mu + 2*sig2.
> From this you can get Var(Y)=E(Y^2) - (E(y))^2 also as some
> function of
> mu and sig2. Then you have three equations and two unknowns (mu and
> sig)and you could solve for mu and sig by some sort of weighted least
> squares. But I think the sample variance (or sd) of a lognormal RV is
> not very reliable statistic and I would go with just the mean
> and median
> to estimate mu and sig.

Jeph Herrin