st: RE: How can I correct ivreg2 coefficients for AR1?

Subject   st: RE: How can I correct ivreg2 coefficients for AR1?
Date   Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:04:04 +0100

Adam,

I think that's right - there isn't a built-in command.

> I heard that there is a user's command "ivreg2" that is able
> to do so, but I am not sure I know how it works. I tried to
> correct my regression with the
> bw(#) specification after ivreg2, but the coefficient did not
> change, only the standart errors.

This is because what you've done is ask ivreg2 for standard errors that
are robust to arbitrary autocorrelation.  It's just like the usual
-robust- option - the standard errors become consistent, but the
coefficients don't change because they were already consistent (by
assumption), albeit possibly inefficient.

Note that this is a correction for arbitrary autocorrelation, so it's
more general than just your AR(1) case.

The bw(#) option specifies how quickly the autocorrelation is assumed to
die out.  The literature on this is pretty technical; what number you
choose depends among other things on the kernel estimator used and the
sample size.  One rule of thumb for the Barlett (a.k.a. Newey-West)
kernel is bandwidth = 0.75 * T^1/3 where T is the sample size.  See
Stock-Watson, Introduction to Econometrics, pp. 505-6.

> I tried the "gmm" specification, and this time the
> coefficients did change, but I am not sure if the results are
> IV coefficients or GMM's.

They are GMM coefficients.  The difference is that they are efficient in
the presence of arbitrary autocorrelation (not just consistent like the
IV coefficients).

Cheers,
Mark