Re: st: RE: Hosmer-Lemeshow sticky issues

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Hosmer-Lemeshow sticky issues
Date   Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:12:53 +0100 (BST)

Ashwin:
Actually I am pretty sceptical about tests of fit. A perfect fitting
model is just the datamatrix. We use a statistical model because it is
too hard to read or draw conclussions from the raw data. If your test
says that your model is not significantly different from a perfect fit,
than your model is either too complex or the patern in the data is so
obvious that no model is needed.

My very first post on the statalist involved this same issue and also
contains some comments on the Hosmer Lemeshow test:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2004-09/msg00533.html .

More recently there was quite a long thread on the dangers of stepwise
regression:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-09/msg00017.html .

HTH,
Maarten

--- "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ashwin - Logistic regression assumes a particular functional form for
> the probability of "success", say  P(S), as a function of the
> explanatory variables. Like any statistical model, there is no
> guarantee
> that the logistic regression model exactly applies to real-world
> data.
> At best it may be an approximate representation. It follows that with
> large sample sizes any discrepancy between the model and the data
> will
> be magnified, resulting in small p-values for a goodness of fit test.
> However you can investigate other models (such as probit) that use
> different functional forms for P(S). You can even write your own link
> function to try alternative custom-made models.
>
> Al Feiveson

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting adress:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" � The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html