RE: st: how to handle missing observations in a regression model

From   "Simo Hansen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: how to handle missing observations in a regression model
Date   Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:50:57 +0300

Thank you all for resourceful and kind help.
Best regards,
Simo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rodrigo A. Alfaro
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 4:55 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: how to handle missing observations in a regression model

In Stata you have -ice- and -hotdeck- procedures for missing data. The first

is based on Chained-Equations technique (CE), which is explained at
http://www.multiple-imputation.com/, the second is regression technique...
an interesting analysis is available in Efron, B. (1994). Missing Data,
Imputation, and the Bootstrap. Journal of the American Statistical
Association, 89, 463-478. A third technique based on EM algorithm (basically

Maximum Likelihood) and it uses Bayesian-principle is available in the
free-software NORM by J. Schafer [His book (1997) Analysis of Incomplete
Multivariate Data (1997) is a classic in the Multiple Imputation literature
as Rubin (1987). Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys]. EM has
well-known asymptotic properties in compare with CE, but CE has good results

in Monte Carlo experiments. I suggest you NORM, because it is pretty easy to

use and it is very fast in compare with -ice-. If you can use SAS as well P.

Allison wrote a code that mimics NORM. See his webpage
http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/~allison/ and you can have an introductory lesson
with this paper: http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/~allison/MultInt99.pdf. Rodrigo.