st: Re: FW: ipolate and epolate - positive and integer DV

From   Samira Reis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: FW: ipolate and epolate - positive and integer DV
Date   Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:48:33 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you for your suggestion Nick!

I had done the "logging, interpolating on the
logarithmic scale and then antilogging" before
following what you had suggested to another person in
the statalist some time ago. However, I thought it
couldn't work for me because after doing that, values
were not integer anymore, and my dependent variable is
a count.

But now you said also that decimals values may be not
such a problem, that is, "you would be less worried
about integer values yourself" then I will probably
round the interpolated values to integer.

Thank you very much!

Samira.

Samira Reis had difficulty sending this to the list.

My own suggestion -- so long as all values are
positive --
is that Samira should consider logging, interpolating
on the logarithmic scale and then antilogging.

Or take square roots -- that doesn't ensure positive
values either, but there are several grounds for
regarding square roots as "first aid" (Tukey) for
count.

I would be less worried about integer values myself.

Samira Reis [mailto:[email protected]]

Hi Stata users,

I have a data set from 1980 to 2003 with some missing
values for both
dependent and independent variables. I tried using
ipolate command in
stata to get values and I used:

by reg: ipolate ent year, gen (ient) epolate.

The problem was that I obtained quite a few negative
values and my
variables can not be negative and my dependent
variable must be integer
as well. Could anybody help me to find out a
correct way to deal with that, please?

http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/