st: RE: Re: RE: Regression and "what-if" predictions

From   "Steve Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Regression and "what-if" predictions
Date   Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:36:48 +1200

Hi Christine.

Yes, from what I can tell, your 3-steps outlined below give you exactly the results you are expecting.

Cheers,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Christer
Thrane
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:02 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: RE: Regression and "what-if" predictions

Thanks for your advice, Steven.

The problem with the automatic procedures is that they are designed for
(repeated) cross-sectional models, and not for panel regression models.

As regards the manual sollution, do you mean somthing like:

1.

use wagedata ...
drop if male==0
drop male

collapse (mean) edyears exp expsq nrchild (max) married year

save wagedata_men ...

This generates the married male in year 2002 with average values on the
remaining variables.

2.

use wagedata ...

xtreg logwage edyears exp expsq married if male==0, re cluster(lpnr)

This is the wage model for women.

3.

use wagedata_men ...

predict lwhat

list lwhat

This gets me the logwage for a married male in year 2002 with average values
on the remaining variables given the women's regression coefficients???

Am I on to something here?

BR

Christer

Professor Christer Thrane