st: xml_tab

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xml_tab
Date   Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:03:45 -0400

I guess I spoke for excel/xml users (:-)).
But indeed, I think it has lot of useful
functionalities (eg: adding subtitles like
"HH characteristics", "Head Education" in
middle of columns of results, formatting text in
bold, preparing reading to print tables, etc).
I strongly encourage users to try it.
I'll ask Zurab to post it to SSC for easier
access.
Also, I was a more "outreg" user and would
have missed the power of estout (I tried it
once and felt discouraged by its
complication, compared to outreg).
Best regards.
Amadou.

Kit Baum wrote:

 Amadou suggested that "xml_tab" in some way supersedes estout,
 outreg2, outreg, etc. I sincerely doubt that assertion. Programs such
 as outreg2 and estout, which I mentioned in my posting of SSC
 activity, handle estimation results, tables of descriptive
 statistics, and the like in a variety of formats, including HTML, tab-
 delimited text, and LaTeX. Ian Watson's -tabout- is another highly
 useful routine in this genre IMHO.

 The description of "xml_tab" on

 http://econ.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTDEC/EXTRESEARCH/
 EXTPROGRAMS/EXTPOVRES/0,,contentMDK:20292195~menuPK:546578~pagePK:
 64168182~piPK:64168060~theSitePK:477894,00.html

 states that "XML_TAB is a program that saves the outputs from Stata
 estimation procedures in Microsoft Excel."

 This might be useful to some people, but many (including me) make no
 use of MS Excel in their scholarly or research work. estout, outreg2
 and a number of other user-written procedures have options for tab-
 delimited output, which makes their output readable by MS Word or MS
 Excel for those that might want to use it.

 I would speak more authoritatively about xml_tab, but for the fact
 that clicking on the web page above to get its help file yields

 "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
 siteresources.worldbank.org."

 And within Stata, a "net from" command fails:

 . net from
 http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPOVRES/Resources/
 remote connection failed -- see help r(677) for troubleshooting
 http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTPOVRES/Resources/ either
    1)  is not a valid URL, or
    2)  could not be contacted, or
    3)  is not a Stata download site (has no stata.toc file).
 r(677);

 The explicit command given on the web page above, indicating how to
 install xml_tab from their site, doesn't work either (generating the
 same error 677).

 So I am not sure that the site is usable in its present form for
 those outside the World Bank. I can 'net from' a number of other
 sites without difficulty, so I imagine the problem is with the World
 Bank's firewall; like the IMF, they are (justifiably) security-
 conscious.

 And 'findit xml_tab' doesn't...

 Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
 http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html