st: ODBC connectivity problems

From   "Joe Genshlea" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ODBC connectivity problems
Date   Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:53:10 -0700

Hello,

I have been using STATA9 - SE on our linux box for some time, and have never
been able to get the ODBC functions working.  I've been working around this
by pushing text extracts from our database to the server where stata resides
and then importing using insheet.

This is becoming too burdomesome.

Symptoms:

odbc list  - executes fine

odbc query "myOdbcname" Hangs - all odbc commands hang except for list - no
errors are thrown.

Environment

Dual Intel Xeon dual-core w/ EM64T
Novell SUSE Enterprise Linux 9 SP3, x86_64
Kernel 2.6.5-7.252-smp
Libc 2.3.3-98.61
Gcc 3.3.3

We have iODBC installed and I can actually connect to various databases
throughout the company using iSQL.

Tests & Diagnostics:

---
TEST - Confirm Environment Variable ODBCINI
---

rddata02:~ # echo $ODBCINI
/root/.odbc.ini

---
TEST - execute iodbctest
*** I don't know what is supposed to happen****
---

rddata02:~ # /usr/bin/iodbctest
iODBC Demonstration program
This program shows an interactive SQL processor
Driver Manager: 03.52.0406.0126

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): ?

DSN                              | Driver
-
bug                              | MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
orders                           | MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
TestDSN                          | MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN

Enter ODBC connect string (? shows list): orders

Have a nice day.rddata02:~ #

---
TEST - Use iSQL to connect via iODBC
---

rddata02:~ # isql orders
| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL>
SQL> SHOW TABLES
+-----------+
|           |
+-----------+
| APPRAISER |
| AVM       |
| BILLABLE_R|
| BORROWER  |
| BROKER    |
| COMP_DETAI|
| EXTRACT_QU|
| HISTORYPRO|
| HISTORYPRO|
| IDENTITYPR|
| LOANSAFE  |
| LOAN_DETAI|
| MAPPING_SO|
| MAPPING_TA|
| ORDERS    |
| RECON     |
| SCORECARD |
| XR_REPORT_|
+-----------+
SQLRowCount returns 18
18 rows fetched

---
TEST - Connect using stata
---

  ___  ____  ____  ____  ____ tm
 /__    /   ____/   /   ____/
___/   /   /___/   /   /___/    9.1   Copyright 1984-2005
  Statistics/Data Analysis            StataCorp
                                      4905 Lakeway Drive
     Special Edition                  College Station, Texas 77845 USA
                                      800-STATA-PC
http://www.stata.com
                                      979-696-4600        [email protected]
                                      979-696-4601 (fax)

2-user Stata for Linux64 (network) perpetual license:
       Serial number:  *****
         Licensed to:  CoreLogic
                       Product Development

Notes:
      1.  (-m# option or -set memory-) 10.00 MB allocated to data
      2.  (-v# option or -set maxvar-) 5000 maximum variables
      3.  Command line editing enabled

Note:  Your site can add messages to the introduction by editing the file
       stata.msg in the directory where Stata is installed.

. odbc list

Data Source Name                   Driver
bug                                MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN
orders                             MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver DSN

. odbc query "orders"

///// NOTE THIS HANGS FOREVER //////

-------------------------------------END-------------------------------------
------

Joe Genshlea
Product Development Analyst
CoreLogic <http://www.cscorelogic.com/>
10360 Old Placerville Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95827
Tel. 916-438-3199 xt 440
Fax 916-438-3121
http://www.cscorelogic.com/

CONFIDENTIAL: This message contains confidential information intended only
for the use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that
reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately
notify us by replying to the message and delete the original and reply
messages immediately thereafter.