st: Missing values-Times series

From   "Inamo, Jocelyn F. M.D., Ph.D." <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Missing values-Times series
Date   Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:46:21 -0500

Title: Missing values-Times series

Dear STATA Users

I would like to fill the missing values in my time series data shown in the first table, assuming that there is a linear progression between the observed proxy values. Accordingly, I would like to obtain inferred values of Y as shown in the second table.

X       Y
1       10
2
3       50
4
5       50
6
7
8       20
9       40

Day     Y observed      Y Inferred
1       10      10
2               25
3       50      50
4               50
5       50      50
6               40
7               30
8       20      20
9       40      40

The most accurate way to do this would be to go to each missing value and to compute a linear equation within the proxy values of Y. I realized that it was more easy to say than to do (for me at least).

The second way would be to use the smoothing commands of stata. I realized that ksm-lowess work pretty well when set with  the smallest bandwidth possible, but I have been unable to recover the inferred values of Y.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
Jocelyn