st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Merge two long datasets? and re: stopping loops

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Merge two long datasets? and re: stopping loops
Date   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:43:28 +0100

Sorry, but I can't infer your intentions separately from what you
write. Evidently one message is that your email set-up
mangles your presentation of Stata code, and I still
think it was fair comment that that helps nobody.

The larger issue here is over your use of -tostring-.

As the original author of -tostring- I do claim some insight
into what it was intended for and what it was not intended for.

Regardless of that, I pointed out that (a) users do not need
to change their data to do what is being discussed here (b)
if they do that they will probably need to change it back.
Thus, you are recommending code that will have unnecessary side-effects.
As new users are always joining the list I think it's fair
comment to point that out, as is utterly standard for any
technical list worthy of the name, especially as there is
a simple alternative.

As other output of mine indicates, I think programming style
is important, but I don't think it's a defence here.

White, Justin

> The capitalization happened in the email (auto correct).  I did not
> intentionally capitalize the commands.  Isn't this a bit petty?
>
> The advice I provided is how I would personally do it.
> Everyone's style
> is different.  There may be hundreds of ways to get the same thing
> accomplished.

Nick Cox