Re: st: Re: why did IV estimation turn an insignificant included instrument variable in OLS to be significant in IV estimation?

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: why did IV estimation turn an insignificant included instrument variable in OLS to be significant in IV estimation?
Date   Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:13:46 -0400

Jerry Hausman in "IV Estimation with Valid and Invalid Instruments"
available in his webpage at MIT (http://econ-www.mit.edu/faculty/)
has a model where you can see what you think. Variance of IV
is greater than LS, for that check the model, theorem 1 and (2.5).
But note that the model only have 1 endogenous variable as
explanatory. In that particular case, your guess is true... but as
Mark pointed the estimation of beta should be different. A particular
case is when sigma_eu=0 which proves the inefficient of IV in that
particular case, but if sigma_eu!=0 therefore your LS is inconsistent
reason for why you are dealing with the IV estimator. R.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jian Zhang" <[email protected]>
To: "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>;
<[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:23 AM
Subject: RE: st: Re: why did IV estimation turn an insignificant included
instrument variable in OLS to be significant in IV estimation?

Thanks, Rodrigo!   I remember that I read something, which is that the
standard errors for IV
estimators are always bigger than OLS (that is, the variance-covariance
matrix of IV estimators
minus the variance covariance matrix of OLS is always positive definite).
But I couldn't find any
textbooks or materials discussing it.

Jian Zhang