RE: st: Re: why did IV estimation turn an insignificant included instrument variable in OLS to be significant in IV estimation?

Subject   RE: st: Re: why did IV estimation turn an insignificant included instrument variable in OLS to be significant in IV estimation?
Date   Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:24:34 +0100

Jian Zhang,

The other part of the answer is that you haven't said what you mean by
"significant".  Do you mean "significantly different from zero"?  Then
of course coefficients can become significant even if the SEs have
increased - the point estimate under IV can be further away from zero
than under OLS, taking confidence interval along with it.

--Mark