RE: st: RE: standardized parameter for dichotmious variable in a regr

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: standardized parameter for dichotmious variable in a regr
Date   Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:53:59 +0200

--- stata_user asked:
>  Is this means that we cannot take into account of the standardized
> coefficient of a dichotomious variable, I want to say that we can only
> compare between the standardized coefficients of continuous variables in
> order to see which one the most associated with the dependent variable

You can still add dichotomous variables to regression when you want to
report standardized coefficients. So you can still take dichotomous
covariates into account.

However, I think that the entire concept of looking at which independent
variable is most associated with the dependent variable is often given
way too much emphasis. Say you have two continuous independent variables:
age and income. By looking at the standardized effects you claim that a
standard deviation change in age is comparable to a standard deviation
change in income. Admittedly standard deviations are more comparable than
euros and years, but it is still not a very convincing comparison.

In cases where we have a theoretical interest in which covariate has the
strongest effect, the theoretical concepts underlying the covariates
usually already have a comparable metric (because how would we form such
a theory if they didn't?). In that case you should use that theoretical
information to create comparable variables (i.e. standardize you variable).

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam