st: RE: Funky local macro result

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Funky local macro result
Date   Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:25:26 -0500

I am not sure why Stata doesn't recognize the final closing bracket, but a
simpler example returns:

. sysuse auto,clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. local lagif "foreach l in 2 4"

. `lagif' {
foreach command may not result from a macro expansion interactively or in do
files
r(198);

Since -foreach- cannot result from a macro expansion one way around this
would be to wrap the -foreach- and -forv- in -if- statements.

For example:

count
if r(N) > 900 {
	local lagif  "l in 2 4"