Re: st: standard errors in regression

From   "Alan Neustadtl" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: standard errors in regression
Date   Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:56:05 -0400

I don't have a text book at home to look at but I suspect that this
has to do with the degrees of freedom.  If I simplify your example by
calculating a bivariate regression and adjust the df's as follows:

sysuse auto, clear
reg price mpg
sum mpg
di e(rmse)/(sqrt(r(N)-1)*r(sd))

I get the same statistic as Stata to the fourth decimal place.

However, when I use n-2 which I thought would work in your case, the
number is still off.

Many statistics books devote the bulk of their attnetion to the
bivariate case and less time to the extension of statistical tests to
the multivariate case since th elogic is similar.  Furthermore, I
notice disagreement about the df's across books.  Of couse, the df's
are less importnt with larger sample sizes.

Best,
Alan