st: stset with spell data

From   "CINGANO FEDERICO" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: stset with spell data
Date   Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:05:57 +0200

Hi, I am working with (unemployment) spell data. Spells originate at
different points in time during 1980-90 when my individuals can get
displaced. Follow up period is end of 1995. Some observations are therefore
right censored (i.e. never re-enter). I think this setting is called
"calendar date censoring". Spells are in months
My questions are on how to stset these data:
1. Right now I am just setting "stset spell, failure(NotCensored)" but I am
uncertain whether I should instead use the "origin", "entry" and "exit"
options (given the spells originate at different points in time).
2. I think I have to attribute a spell to right censored observations. Shall
this correspond to the maximum follow-up period (i.e. 192 (16*12) months for
displaced on Jan 1980 and 72 months (6*12) if displaced on Jan 1990)?. It
does not seem to matter whether I instead arbitrarily attribute them an
arbitrarily high number (say 20000 months).
3. I used stcox on 10000 such observations (with 1000 dummies) and received
the following warining "Need to impose epsilon duration to those re-entering
same months, otherwise stcox drops them". Does this depend on the fact that
individuals with same value of a dummy may all re-enter the same month? It
does not warn me if I do NOT use the dummies.
Any help on the points above would be appreciated. Thanks
Fede

** Le e-mail provenienti dalla Banca d'Italia sono trasmesse in buona fede e non
comportano alcun vincolo ne' creano obblighi per la Banca stessa, salvo che cio' non
sia espressamente previsto da un accordo scritto.
Questa e-mail e' confidenziale. Qualora l'avesse ricevuta per errore, La preghiamo di
comunicarne via e-mail la ricezione al mittente e di distruggerne il contenuto. La
informiamo inoltre che l'utilizzo non autorizzato del messaggio o dei suoi allegati
potrebbe costituire reato. Grazie per la collaborazione.
-- E-mails from the Bank of Italy are sent in good faith but they are neither binding on
the Bank nor to be understood as creating any obligation on its part except where
provided for in a written agreement. This e-mail is confidential. If you have received it
by mistake, please inform the sender by reply e-mail and delete it from your system.
Please also note that the unauthorized disclosure or use of the message or any
attachments could be an offence. Thank you for your cooperation. **