Re: st: Delta method std errors via "svy" vs. "robust" std errors via "glm"

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Delta method std errors via "svy" vs. "robust" std errors via "glm"
Date   Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:29:09 -0500

Ben M. Gramig <[email protected]> wants to fit a fractional logit model using
data from a complex survey design:

> Can anyone clarify for me the difference in the standard errors generated by
> (for instance) "svylogit" versus "glm [pweight], fam(bin) link(logit)
> robust"?

-svylogit- can handle clustering and stratification, but -glm- cannot.  In the
absence of clustering and stratification, -svylogit- and -glm, robust- (with
-pweights- if there are any) will result in the same model fit and standard
errors.

> The survey suite of commands indicate that std errors are calculated by
> Taylor linearization (by default in Stata8, which I'm running), but it is
> also my understanding (perhaps mistakenly?) that for non-linear regression
> routines in Stata a Taylor series expansion is also used to calculate
> "sandwich" std errors.

Correct.  Taylor linearization and the sandwich variance estimator are
synonymous.

> When I fit a model using both sets of commands for the same data I get very
> similar std errors with no disagreement in inference from the two models.
>
> An example...
>
> . svyset [pweight= bloodwt], strata( state)
> pweight is bloodwt
> strata is state
>
> . svylogit  blv_pos west seast neast ttlcattle cleaninject_cow
> cleaninject_heifer
> > dehorn_safe dehorn_saw
>
> [COMBINED OUTPUT BELOW]
>
> . glm blv_pos west seast neast ttlcattle cleaninject_cow cleaninject_heifer
> dehorn_safe
> > dehorn_saw [pweight=bloodwt], fam(bin) link(logit) robust
>

> 		LOGIT(glm)	SVYLOGIT
> 		Robust
> 		Std. Err.	Std. Err.
>
> West		0.3531389	0.3501034
> seast		1.060446	1.090085
> neast		0.2899766	0.2899524
> ttlcattle	0.0007633	0.0007623
> cleaninjec~w0.6201178	0.6199391
> cleaninjec~r0.5917452	0.5901283
> dehorn_safe	0.2837614	0.2842202
> dehorn_saw	0.4650457	0.463464
> _cons		0.2478754	0.2477516
>

> Note: I have a complex survey design but want to use glm to implement the
> fractional logit model, which is not allowed in conjunction with svy.

The above -glm- does not use the -svyset- strata information in its variance
estimate.  However, Ben can use -suest- after -glm- to compute the survey's
design based variance estimates.  Using Ben's example above, the Stata 8
commands would be:

	. svyset [pweight=bloodwt], strata(state)
	. glm blv_pos west seast neast ttlcattle cleaninject_cow
	> cleaninject_heifer dehorn_safe dehorn_saw [iweight=bloodwt],
	> fam(bin) link(logit) score(myscore)
	. suest ., svy

Stata 9's -suest- does not require the -score()- option on -glm-.

See '[R] suest' for more examples.

--Jeff