st: Installation problems

From   DEEPANKAR BASU <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Installation problems
Date   Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:53:25 -0400

I am not sure this is the correct forum for this but I need some help with STATA 9 installation.

I am trying to install Intercooled Stata 9 on a Dell Inspiron E1405. My OS is Linux (Ubuntu 6.06). I follow the instructions but get stuck in the very first step. This is what I do.

Since I have not created a root user account, I use "sudo su -" at the terminal prompt to use the machine with root privileges for the current session.

Then I type "mkdir /usr/local/stata" to create the directory.

Then I plunk the Stata 9 CD into the cdrom drive.

Then I check that the path to the cdrom on my machine is "/cdrom" and not "/mnt/cdrom" as is usually the case.

So I type "/cdrom/install" to run the installation script and get stumped! I get the following message:
-su: /cdrom/install: Permission denied

Am I missing some simple step somewhere? Do I need to change permissions somewhere? (Nothing like that is mentioned in the "Getting Started with Stata for Unix") or maybe I am missing something.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Deepankar