st: RE: Filling missing depr. for panel

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Filling missing depr. for panel
Date   Wed, 9 Aug 2006 01:49:51 +0100

I don't find it possible to advise given this information, except
to wonder whether either approach is legitimate. It sounds
as if you can make your best guess at the missing values
_after_ fitting the most appropriate model you can think of.
But doing it the other way, modelling after imputation or
interpolation, will at best overstate the strength of relationship and at worst warp
results by building-in dubious assumptions.

Otherwise put, you are at risk of finding plums in the
dataset that you put there yourself.