Re: st: question about weights

Subject   Re: st: question about weights
Date   Wed, 2 Aug 2006 12:56:35 -0400

Allen--
I don't think the HH/person weights you refer to are a problem, in
that the HH weights are (I think) the person weights of the HH head,
or some random adult in the HH.  Since HH characteristics that you
might tabulate at the HH level (i.e. each HH is represented as one
record when you compute a mean) are attached to person records (in the
standard one-to-many mapping) when you merge based on HH serial
number, using the -merge- command, the person weight is all you need
for the "combined" analysis.
There are cases where you have multiple distinct weights, e.g. if you
have sample weights (inverse of the probability of selection for
sample members) and precision weights (inverse of the standard error
on the estimate of some number for that sample member), in which case
I believe researchers usually multiply weights together.  That would
not be appropriate for the HH level/person level analysis you are
talking about, I think.
--Austin
ps. data referred to is freely avail at http://www.ipums.org