st: Which observations ... ?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Which observations ... ?
Date   Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:42:10 +0100

1. Alan H. Feiveson asked on 24 July 2006:

Does anyone know an efficient way to identify the observation at
which a particular variable is minimum or maximum (subject to `if'
and/or `in') ?

Apparently -summarize- does not return this value. I see nothing in
-egen- nor does -findit argmax- produce anything. I can program this
myself by looping through the observations, but that is not efficient. In particular one cannot guarantee that anything like

summ x
local xmax = r(max)
if x = `xmax' {

will work because of rounding. I also wish to avoid -preserve-,
-collapse-, etc.

[NJC note: -if x = `xmax'- is not legal code.]

2. Maarten Buis suggested:

something like:

sysuse auto, clear
tab rep78
gen cond = rep78==3 & price < .
bys cond (price): gen max = _n==_N & cond==1
sum price if cond
sum price if max==1

also see:
viewsource _gmax.ado
for similar code that you should be able to adjust
for your purpose.

3. Jeph Herrin suggested:

To avoid the rounding problem you can try

gen cond= [if and/or in statments]
bysort cond: egen xmax=max(x)

where "mycond" should probably include x>=.

4. Joseph Coveney suggested:

Couldn't you just -generate- a 0/1 indicator variable? Then just use the indicator in your Boolean expression: -if indicator_variable . . .-

Generating such a variable (1) allows for both -if- and -in-, (2) won't be affected by missing values in the target variable, and (3) doesn't appear to be liable to rounding errors regardless of whether the target variable is
single- or double-precision: one (and only one) maximum observation is
identified in each of 1000 200-observation datasets.

clear
set more off
set seed `=date("2006-07-25", "ymd")'
set matsize 10000
tempname A
tempvar a max
set obs 200
generate double `a' = . // double-precision
generate byte `max' = 0
forvalues i = 1/1000 {
quietly replace `a' = uniform()
summarize `a', meanonly
quietly replace `max' = (`a' == r(max)) if (1==1) in 1/200
summarize `max', meanonly
matrix define `A' = (nullmat(`A') \ r(sum))
}
drop _all
svmat byte `A', names(col)
assert c1 == 1
*
clear
set obs 200
generate float `a' = . // single-precision
generate byte `max' = 0
forvalues i = 1/1000 {
quietly replace `a' = uniform()
summarize `a', meanonly
quietly replace `max' = (`a' == r(max)) if (1==1) in 1/200
summarize `max', meanonly
matrix define `A' = (nullmat(`A') \ r(sum))
}
drop _all
svmat byte `A', names(col)
assert c1 == 1
exit

5. Alan then replied:

Thanks, Joseph, Jeph and Maarten for your helpful suggestions. I
incorporated these ideas into the following program which returns
scalars holding the observations with the min and max. I found the
easiest way to get those was to sort the original observation number
("ord" in the program below) along with the variable of interest. Then
after the bysorts, I resorted with respect to "ord" to get back the
original order.

program define argmax1
// finds observations with `x' = max and `x' = min
version 9.2
syntax anything [if] [in]
tokenize `anything'
args x kmin kmax
tempvar ind ord rep N
qui gen byte `ind'=0
qui replace `ind'=1 `if' `in'
qui gen int `ord'=_n
bysort `ind' (`x'): gen `rep'=_n
bysort `ind' (`x'): gen `N'=_N
summ `ord' if `ind'==1 & `rep'==1,meanonly
scalar `kmin'=r(mean)
summ `ord' if `ind'==1 & `rep'==N,meanonly
scalar `kmax'=r(mean)
sort ord
end