st: RE: Re: matrix of significance stars

From   "Adam Seth Litwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: matrix of significance stars
Date   Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:41:42 -0400

Against everybody's better judgment, including my own, I am still trying to
do this by brute force.  I'm SO close though.

I now have a k x m matrix, where k is the number of independent variables
and m is the number of models I have estimated.  Each entry in the matrix is
a 0, 1, 2, or 3 based on how many stars I would like the estimate to carry.
(I built that matrix from a matrix of p-values.)

Now, I would like to read each of these matrix elements into a macro, and
then convert that macro to the appropriate string macro.  So, I have...

local indep1M1stars = stars[1,1]
if `indep1M1stars' == 3 local `indep1M1stars'  "***"
if `indep1M1stars' == 2 local `indep1M1stars'  "**"
if `indep1M1stars' == 1 local `indep1M1stars'  "*"
if `indep1M1stars' == 0 local `indep1M1stars'

That works fine.  If I enter:
.di "`indep1M1stars'"

I get:
***

Fantastic.  BUT...
.file open faketable using filename, write replace
.file write faketable  `indep1M1stars'

does NOT write:
***

It still writes:
3

Do I need to reference indep1M1stars differently in the write command than
in the display command?

Thanks for suggestions.  This is really vexing me.  adam