st: Re: pooled vs panel data

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: pooled vs panel data
Date   Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:00:15 -0400

If you mean that you did

regress y x1 x2 x3
xtreg y x1 x2 x3, fe

and the F-test at the foot of xtreg said that there are significant differences between the intercepts for the units of the panel, then the pooled OLS regression involves placing a number of inappropriate constraints on the fixed effects regression. When you place binding constraints on a regression, the coefficients change. When those constraints are soundly rejected by the data, it is a bad idea.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html