st: RE: IV in Panel

Subject   st: RE: IV in Panel
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:29:27 +0100

Vincenzo,

xtivreg2 supports the diagnostic statistics for this for linear fixed
effects estimation.

>...then, orthogonal to which errors in the panel? the
> fixed error component, the random one, or the overall?

Depends on whether you are using a fixed or random effects estimator.
The orthogonality conditions for the fixed effects estimator refer only
to the idiosyncratic error; the orthogonality conditions for the random
effects estimator refer to this plus the group error component (which is
why it is more efficient but less robust than the fixed effects
estimator).

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK